Read 1 John 4:1-5:21
To best interpret this chapter, pay attention to the pronouns, even circle them!
In this world, there is a mixture of truth and error. How do we know what is true?
4:1 Don’t believe everybody. Test what you hear using the Bible.
- How do verses 2 and 3 describe the standard for testing what is true?
- In verse 4, how are we able to overcome the spirit of the world?
- What does verse 5 say about the popularity of “them” versus “you”?
Notice how many times John uses the word “love” in verses 7-21! John is telling us this so that we may know what it looks like to be a follower of Christ! If love is deliberately meeting a need because there’s a need and expecting nothing in return, you know someone is “of Christ” if they fulfill this within the parameters of God’s word…because who else would do that?
- With John putting such an emphasis on love, and with what verses 7-21 tell us about the topic, would you say that you are a loving person?
- What do you need to do to improve the love in your life?
One of John’s biggest themes throughout the book is distinguishing between the light and dark, believer and unbeliever. John concludes 1 John by explaining the purpose of the book.
- What does verse 13 have to say about the theme of the book?