Read 2 John
As you will find out, the book of 2 John is all about truth. Circle “truth” in the first few verses and see just how many times it is used! As with any word in the Bible, if it’s repeated, it’s important. John is writing to a body of believers that are struggling with endorsement. How do they know what’s true? Who can they trust? In our 21st century world today, there are many 2 John principles that we can pull from this book!
First off, verse 1 speaks to the objectivity of truth.
- In what way does the Bible speak to how truth is something that can be known?
- What does 1 John have to say about this topic? (check out 1 John 5:13)
Secondly, truth is what unites us as a church!
- Why do you think it is so important for the basis of what we do as a church to be rooted in truth?
- What are some possible consequences of non-truth in the context of a local church?
In verses 5-6, John reverts back to the command to love one another.
- What would you say is the relationship between truth and love?
- When was a time where, through love, you experienced truth? Was there a time that someone tried to share truth with you without love?
Next, verse 7 speaks to the standard by which we can measure truth. When something you hear or read doesn’t square up with what God’s Word says, it doesn’t matter how many experts believe it…it’s still false.
- Describe a time you had to determine something’s validity by checking the Bible.
Lastly, John concludes his second book/letter by describing that truth separates us from supporting everyone. He is actually quite blunt in how he says to deal with false teachers and those who compromise truth.
- How do these final verses increase your urgency to be on the alert for false teaching?
It’s very important to look back to verse 2 and John’s use of the word “forever”. At the end of the day, regardless of what happens, what’s said, what anybody thinks, truth will be victorious. Philippians 2 tells us that, no matter what, every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord!
How are you going to hold fast to truth? In what way are you going to allow truth to saturate the way you talk to and influence people?