Read Matthew 1:1-25
Has the special, long-awaited gift arrived?
I purchased the gift well in advance and then the dreaded notice came. Backordered! I waited for the date when it should’ve been in stock again. Then came the news that the product was out of stock! Now what?
When our hope is to give a loved one the very thing they have wished for and circumstances make it impossible, then it can seem that Christmas isn’t quite as special as we had hoped it would be.
The real meaning of this day and the hope it brings to us cannot be compared with a Hallmark moment of giving the perfect gift
Throughout the Old Testament is woven the imagery and prophetic messages of a Messiah and King to come and rule in peace forever. These were like clues so the generations to come would know when He came.
- The Messiah would be the seed/offspring of a woman and would crush the head of Satan (Genesis 3:15).
- He would come from the seed/offspring of Abraham and would bless all the nations on earth (Genesis 12:3).
- He would be born in Bethlehem of Judah (Micah 5:2).
- He would be born of a virgin (Isaiah 7:14).
- He would have a throne, a kingdom and a dynasty, or house, starting with King David (2 Samuel 7:16).
- He would be called “Wonderful Counselor,” “Mighty God,” “Everlasting Father,” “Prince of Peace,” and would possess an everlasting kingdom (Isaiah 9:6-7).
After Malachi wrote some of the last promises about both Jesus and John the Baptist, there was a long silence that lasted 400 years. During that time, there was no new information about the coming of the Messiah. I wonder, did those who lived during that time ask the question: When will this long awaited “package” arrive?
Then Matthew recaps the generations who waited and writes the beautiful words; “This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about.” (Matt. 1:18) The waiting was over. The greatest Gift had arrived! The perfect Gift! “Because He will save His people from their sins.” (Matt. 1:21)
Share the gift of Jesus! Read about the birth of Jesus and tell how you received the gift of eternal life! This is the perfect gift for all who are on your Christmas card list. Merry Christmas!