Category Archives: Hebrews

December 16 – Importance of the Old Testament – The Price of Sin

Read Leviticus 4:1-35 and Hebrews 9:16-28 I sat across the table from my mother-in-law at an Olive Garden in Sebring, Florida during a recent visit to my wife’s hometown. I try to make it a point to spend some one-on-one … Continue reading

Posted in Hebrews, Importance of the Old Testament, Leviticus | Leave a comment

November 27 – By Faith or by Sight – Live Today Trusting God

To fully follow God, we must leave the past behind, look ahead with anticipation and finally…live today trusting God. Abraham and Sarah faced a series of defining moments which included obstacles that had to be overcome. Two of these are … Continue reading

Posted in By Faith or by Sight, Genesis, Hebrews | Leave a comment

November 26 – By Faith or by Sight – Look Ahead with Anticipation

Years ago, we traveled by van to Florida. The anticipation was electric for the boys. We were on Burbank Road pulling onto the Dix Expressway (1 mile from home), when our youngest at the time genuinely asked, “How long until … Continue reading

Posted in By Faith or by Sight, Hebrews | Leave a comment

November 25 – By Faith or by Sight – Leave Your Past Behind

When Vicki and I moved here 18 years ago, we felt the uncertainty of not knowing anyone. Maybe you know that feeling of moving from the familiar to the unfamiliar. It’s precisely what Abraham and Sarah did, leaving friends, family, … Continue reading

Posted in 2 Corinthians, By Faith or by Sight, Hebrews | Leave a comment

June 22 – Father’s Day 2020 – Hebrews 12

Read Hebrews 12:1-11 One of the marks of a good earthly father is his ability to exercise appropriate discipline. If you, as a son or daughter, experienced that in your relationship with your father, you can be grateful. If you … Continue reading

Posted in Father's Day 2020, Hebrews | Leave a comment

May 13 – When I Get Out – Encourage Now and Later

Read Hebrews 3:13 I grew up playing baseball and hockey.  I love those sports, and I wanted to be the best player I could be.  For hours when I wasn’t on the ice, I would retreat to our basement, where … Continue reading

Posted in Hebrews, When I Get Out | 1 Comment

May 12 – When I Get Out – Resilience

Read Job 1:21b and Hebrews 12:1b The 4 x 800 relay race is a very challenging race in the great sport of high school track. Four individuals each run 800 yards with guts and perseverance and then hand the baton … Continue reading

Posted in Hebrews, Job, When I Get Out | Leave a comment

March 27 – COVID-19: Life in the New Normal (Day 2)

Read Hebrews 10:19-25 I am a handful of days ahead of you on this “stay at home” order. My wife, Celeste, and I returned to the US from ministry in Europe one day before a mandatory “self-quarantine” for European returnees … Continue reading

Posted in COVID-19: Life in the New Normal, Hebrews | Leave a comment

March 4 – Do Not Fear – Unafraid Faith Heroes

Read Hebrews 11 We read through the names like a list on a plaque. Each hero of the faith representing more courage, more unafraid, than most of us will probably ever know. We read their stories, remember their amazing, and maybe … Continue reading

Posted in Do Not Fear, Hebrews | 1 Comment

January 7 – The Crucible of Crisis – All that we don’t know about suffering

Read: John 16:33; James 1:2,12; I Peter 1:6-9; I Peter 4:12; Hebrews 12:5-13 When questioned about the existence of God, Albert Einstein sometimes answered: Man knows perhaps 2% of all there is to know. That leaves 98% we do not know. Isn’t there room in … Continue reading

Posted in 1 Peter, Crucible of Crisis, Hebrews, James, John | Leave a comment